Thanks for listening to me whine earlier in the week. Now that I’m finally starting to feel human again, this should be a much more upbeat post.
Today was our office holiday party. It was fun. Good food and a White Elephant gift swap. Last year, I just watched. This year, I decided to participate.
At first, I unwrapped a Santa hat and cool Camera Lens Mug. But someone stole that from me, and I ended up with a hodgepodge of goodies that included a chocolate-covered marshmallow pop, a flashing-lights necklace, “naughty” and “nice” knee socks, a pouch of Capri Sun and these …
Pickle-flavored candy canes. Yes, pickle. (You can see the socks and Capri Sun in the background.)
Now, I love a good pickle. I do. The summer I turned 2, my mom and grandpa canned a ton of pickles and I ran around saying “pickle, pickle, pickle” so much that the neighbors started calling me “Pickle.” It didn’t stick, thank goodness.
As much as I like pickles—the garlickier the better, I wasn’t sure what to think about pickle-flavored candy. It was a little scary, to be honest. I ended up splitting one with a curious co-worker. The verdict? Surprisingly not bad. I’m not sure I’d want to eat a whole one at once, but a small piece is OK.
Now there’s a way to ensure eating in moderation, eh?
I suppose it’s only fair, since my gift included a “weird” food, too. I wrapped up a microwavable ceramic mug with lid, some Ferro Rocher chocolates and a can of Pringles … Pecan Pie-flavored Pringles.
Anyway … Let’s move on to the Friday Fives.
Top 5 ways I’ve been wasting time
- Minion Rush. My roommate just introduced me to this game today. Addictive, I tell you. I tend to run smack-dab into an obstacle within the first 10 seconds, but I’m getting better.
- Candy Crush. Still. I’ve been stuck on Level 191 for a week or more.
- Watching ID shows. With titles like “The Devil Next Door” and “My Dirty Little Secret,” how can I resist?
- Teaching myself to knit. I tried this once before, but my (plastic) knitting needle broke. I’m working on a turquoise and purple scarf.
- Words with Friends. Hmm … I’m noticing a time-wasting theme here.
Last 5 new foods I’ve tried
This one’s harder than it sounds, as I’ve spent about a week eating like a 4-year-old. I wasn’t being too terribly adventurous before that, either.
- The aforementioned pickle candy cane.
- Gourmet mac and cheese. Dan’s Gourmet Smoky Chicken Bleu, to be exact. Tasty, but I’m not sure it was $5 worth of tasty.
- A new-to-me Muesli Fusion flavor: An-Ox. As much as I love Muesli Fusion, I was not a huge fan of the rehydrated berries in my overnight oats.
- Oloves Olives (more on this soon).
- Chia Pod. (Just chia seeds, coconut milk and blueberries. Decent snack, but weird texture.)
I did a little window-shopping while I was scoping for White Elephant gifts. Some of my finds:
- A deluxe microwave bacon cooker (from the “As seen on TV” shelves)
- Miniature frying pan (big enough for one egg or one sandwich)
- A microwaveable ceramic soup mug. (I kind of wanted to keep that one for myself.)
- Foot massaging machine
- A genuine “A Christmas Story” Leg Lamp. If only I had somewhere to put it …
On that note, I’m out. Catch you next time, hopefully with an even more improved mood.