I’ve joined Kenlie’s Friend Makin’ Mondays link-up before, and decided ’tis the season to do it again. That’s right. This week, she’s talkin’ holiday fun—and since I love the holidays, I thought it’d be the perfect time to join in.
1. What are you plans for Thanksgiving this year? I have to work. I hope to find a neighborhood Turkey Trot somewhere in Flagstaff that I can do in the morning, before I have to go in.
2. At what point do you begin celebrating the Christmas season? My roommate and I used to make it a point to decorate the weekend after Thanksgiving, but we don’t put out our treasured decorations anymore. (The dog chewed up too many one year. I lost ornaments almost as old as I am. So I don’t really decorate anymore. Plus, I’m at the Boyfriend’s a lot.) We still have a tree at the house, though, because the roommate and her husband put it up.
3. Do you celebrate Christmas, or do you celebrate another holiday? Christmas.
4. If you could have one present (you know, a material good, not love or world peace) what would you want? Good question, and one I’m not sure how to answer. A new car would be nice, but impractical. A gym membership would be nice. Maybe an iPad or iPad mini. I’m torn on the need for one of those, though. I already have an iPhone and a MacBook, do I really need an iPad, too? Oooh, I know: A Kindle Fire. I have one of the cheapest Kindles available — a Fire would be a nice upgrade.
Yes, a Kindle Fire. That’s my final answer.
5. Share an idea or two that you can plan to do for someone who may need to feel loved throughout the holiday season. I love baking for friends and coworkers. We need some holiday cheer around our office.
6. Would you rather spend the holiday season on the beach or in the snow? I’d love to spend the holidays someplace warm … in theory. I have a feeling that in practice, I’d miss the cold/snowy weather. It wouldn’t feel like Christmas, if you know what I mean. As long as I don’t have to shovel snow or drive in it, I’m good with a light dusting of white stuff.
7. What is your favorite Thanksgiving food? I have to pick just one? Pumpkin pie, hands down. With a ton of whipped cream.
8. Will you participate in Black Friday shopping? I haven’t decided yet. Just Sunday night, I was talking to my brother about that very thing. There’s really nothing I’m dying to buy, so unless there’s a screaming deal on something I can’t live without, probably not. I have gone in the past. Since I work until midnight and am usually awake until 3 a.m., it’s easy for me to head over and get in line when I get off work. Last year, I ended up hitting Old Navy for super-cheap jeans and Best Buy for a new wireless color printer.
9. Will you travel for the holidays or stay at home? If you’re traveling, are you flying or driving or making alternate plans? I’ll probably be stuck here in Flagstaff, working. Maybe I’ll get to drive the 45 minutes to the Boyfriend’s house on Christmas Eve. That’s the one day no one has to work at the newspaper office, since there’s no Christmas Day paper.
10. List at least 5 things for which you are currently thankful.
- Friends and family, including the Boyfriend.
- The publication of my first book (and soon my second). I’ve been working for this moment for too many years to count. (I’ve wanted to be a writer since second grade, many, many years ago.)
- Good editors.
- Endless sources of inspiration for healthy, delicious recipes.
- The opportunity to keep learning and honing my craft.