5K? Not Saturday

A couple of months ago, I signed up for the Rock N Glow 5K because it sounded like fun. The race was set for Saturday, out at the county fairgrounds just outside of Flagstaff.

I did no training for the race, and very little by way of working out, because I’ve been in one of those moods. You know the kind: where eating right and exercising is too much trouble. Plus, I’ve been busy getting ready to give birth to a book baby. That’s left me little time for healthy living.

Confident before the walk.

Confident before the walk.

Even so, I was confident I could walk 3 miles.

In retrospect, trying to walk in the dark on a trail with rocks and pine cones and things to trip over wasn’t a smart idea. I nearly rolled my ankle several times while on the first loop … so instead of doing a second lap and taking a chance of landing on my ass or, worse, twisting my knee, I took the finisher’s path.

So I really only did half a 5K. My body was willing (I think. My calves were pretty sore Monday night.). I let my mind talk me out of it because I didn’t want to hurt myself.

It was fun, though. Good music and a cool glow-in-the-dark shirt. And the costumes … so many people dressed up in crazy outfits. I saw one guy who wore “underwear” (on the outside of his clothes) made of glow sticks. (No picture. I thought it’d be rude.)

Huh. I seem to miss a lot of shots that way. (That’s what I said about snapping a picture of Molly Shannon when she showed up at my Starbucks a couple of months ago.)

It was cold, too. I pulled a pair of sweatpants out of the drawer, but forgot them when I had to go back in my room to print out the race waiver.

Battling the traffic trying to get out of the fairgrounds was not fun. It was about as far from fun as you can get. After the race, I went to my car to leave but the cars were not budging. Since I had to go to the bathroom, I hoofed it back to the starting line in search of the port-a-johns.

Yes, I was that desperate.

San Francisco Peaks at sunset.

San Francisco Peaks at sunset.

Thank goodness there was a real bathroom, conveniently located right behind the port-a-potties!

Waiting to begin. They released us in waves.

What a relief … literally.

When I got back to the car, I passed the time playing Candy Crush and Words With Friends—on a phone with a dangerously low battery—until traffic started to trickle out of the parking lot. I didn’t take my purse to the race, so I also didn’t have my charger.

Duh. Can you say “blonde moment”?

It was a good weekend, with the race and a trip to Phoenix with the Boyfriend on Sunday. He dropped me off at a Starbucks to write while he went to play tennis.

He won handily. I told him that if he ever played John McEnroe in the Legends tournament in Surprise, I’d watch that. (He wouldn’t have to drop me off.) It’d be a trip to watch those two go at it.

While he played, I did some writing and shipped my holiday novella off to its editor. I plan to indie pub that one next month, just in time for Thanksgiving.

The Starbucks was pretty on the outside … kind of small on the inside, though. In terms of impressive Starbucks venues with lots of space and plenty of electrical outlets, I don’t think I’ll ever find a store that tops the one in Prescott.

Lots of space.

Lots of space. Behind the camera are the counter, bathrooms & a conference room.

Couches and a fireplace. (And there are plug-ins in the floor of the conversation area.)

Couches and a fireplace. (& there are plug-ins in the floor of the conversation area.)

Outdoor seating. The couches aren't terribly comfy, though.

Outdoor seating. The couches aren’t terribly comfy, though.

My magical Starbucks mystery tour continues. Interesting architecture here, but little space inside.

My magical Starbucks mystery tour continues. Interesting architecture here, but little space inside.

I’m currently awaiting word that DIVA IN THE DUGOUT is live. When I get it, I’ll let you all know. Oct. 15 is my release week, so I’m hoping it’ll be up in the next day or two.

I apparently took Tuesday off from work for nothing. I thought I’d be busy with my online release party all day, but since the book isn’t live yet, that didn’t happen. Instead, I did some work for NARWA, wrote a few hundred more words and ran to Target.

Been thinking about going back on a low-carb plan … or at least cutting back considerably.

These days, it seems carbohydrates are almost all I eat. Dinner tonight was mac and cheese. And, when I ran into a display of Monster cereals at Target Tuesday night, I bought a box of Boo Berry. It was always my favorite, although I also enjoyed Count Chocula and Frankenberry.

My mother was weird that way. She wouldn’t buy Cookie Crisp or Cap’n Crunch, but Lucky Charms, Fruity Pebbles, Froot Loops, Smurfberry Crunch and Sugar Smacks or Sugar Crisp (back before they took the “sugar” out of their names) were all regulars in our cabinet. Go figure.

When I go to Starbucks, I salivate over the pastry case, too.

Eating so many carbs and craving nothing but sweets are sure signs I need to cut them out.

My Nike FuelBand arrived Monday, so Tuesday was the first day I used it. I hit my goal fairly easily, with very little extra effort (unless walking around Target counts as exercise). If I hit it early again today, I’ll consider adjusting it.

Right now, I’m aiming to earn 2,000 Fuel Points/day (the low end of the scale). The Boyfriend is going for 5,000 (the upper limit). My ultimate goal is probably somewhere in the middle.

Sorry for a post that jumps all over the place. I’m feeling pretty scattered these days. Probably carb-related …


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s