WIAW: The Crazy Day Edition

Before I get to the meat of my What I Ate Wednesday spectacle, I have to share what I did to make my Tuesday great.

Actually, it didn’t get off the the greatest start. As has become my habit, when my alarm went off, I went straight to Instagram — and after managing to forget what happened while I was sleeping, the photos in my stream immediately reminded me. Many of them choked me up. All of them were inspiring … just not enough to get me out of bed. I checked Instagram, then Twitter, then Facebook, then went back to Instagram and Twitter again.

Finally, an hour after my alarm sounded, I got up and put on my workout gear. I walked — inside, because outside the winds were gusting at 60 mph — 1.67 miles in 26.2 minutes. For 7 of those minutes, I ran. Not fast, mind you, but I picked up the pace and ran.

RunForBostonPlease note I stopped the vertical feet climbed at 126, and managed to burn 226 calories. (I probably couldn’t do that again if I tried.)

You can see a slight discrepancy between my Nike+ readout and the treadmill display. Chalk that up to user error. About 5 minutes and 0.3 miles into my walk/run, I noticed the Nike+ still said “0.”

Why? I started it without changing from “outside” to “treadmill.” Grr. Sometimes I’m such a blonde.

When I was done, I felt like a part of something much larger than myself. I dare say that running, even for the paltry 7 not-straight minutes I was able to manage it, made me feel just a little less helpless.

I showered and dressed in the only race shirt I own, from a 5K dog run/walk I did back in 2004. It was sponsored by my veterinarian and highlights the error of dubbing something “first annual,” as I don’t remember it being followed by a “second annual.”

Haircut time againBefore work, I stopped in to get a haircut. Not the smartest decision in 60 mph winds. My stylist, Shelby, spent time making my hair pretty, only to have all her work blown away the instant I stepped outside.

Here I am in the car right afterward.

Now, on to my good eats. I’m highlighting Monday’s eats, in part because I actually remembered to take photos of everything and in part because I’m rather proud of myself for not stress-eating my way through the day, like I did after the Sept. 11 attacks. (Then, for days afterward, I stuffed myself with comfort food. There was free pizza in the newsroom, and mac & cheese and other junk at home.)

When Monday was just a normal day — before all hell broke loose in Boston, I took a 20-minute walk and had a routine breakfast:

Peach, Mango and pineapple smoothie

A smoothie made with Greek yogurt, almond milk and frozen mango, pineapple and peaches. Why yes, that IS a holiday tumbler. Don’t judge. 😉

To tide me over during the walk, I grabbed a handful of cherry tomatoes.

Cherry Tomatoes

Sunbursts always seem to have great flavor.

Then it was off to Starbucks, where I got NO writing done because I was glued to Twitter.

Blended Latte Strawberries

I got a blended skinny caramel latte, which tasted great and fooled me into thinking I was having a Frappuccino. I went ahead and got the Venti size because it was my freebie.

No, that’s not whipped cream on my drink. I didn’t want to spend 3 Points on whip … It’s just skim milk, coffee and sugar-free caramel syrup.

Another Starbucks regular, Harold, gave me a couple of strawberries, too. They were delicious — so sweet!

When I got to the office, I heated up my lunch.

Tuna Quinoa Cake Sandwich

A Tuna-Quinoa Cake on a Sandwich Thin with a bit of spinach, lettuce and 1 teaspoon Miracle Whip. You can see I ate half of it before I remembered the picture … but that’s an improvement.

Sometime after 6 p.m., I snacked on turkey, an apple and a hard-boiled egg. I also heated up the serving of sweet potato, apple and onion “hash” I brought to eat with my sandwich, but forgot.

Sweet Potato Hash Apple, Turkey & Egg

That turned out to be an excellent decision, because I got super busy at work and didn’t get to eat my dinner until things slowed down at nearly midnight. (That’s when I’d finished all the pages for the next day’s paper and could breathe again.)

When my late dinnertime finally rolled around, I heated up the main event:

Lindsay’s Crock Pot Enchilada Casserole, with a side of brown rice topped with avocado and salsa.

Yum! Another winner from the Lean Green Bean.

You can see the headline on that sports page — sad that the names of the winners of the Boston Marathon were relegated to Page B2.

Brown Rice and Enchilada Casserole

What I actually ate is a far cry from what I wanted to devour after a stressful worknight.

What I actually ate is a far cry from what I wanted to devour after a stressful worknight.

When I got home for the night, I had a few White Chocolate M&Ms, which I’m not going to show you in giant form because I used the photo in Tuesday’s post. (The cutline still applies.)

Thanks to Jenn for hosting the WIAW party. Hop on over and see what everyone else is eating. I always get some great ideas.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s