Sick and tired

Because I have to work Thanksgiving, I ended up with Monday off.

I met the Boyfriend and his mom at IHOP for an early breakfast. They were on their way out of town for the week, so it was our holiday meal. I splurged on a hot chocolate and country breakfast with eggs and potatoes topped with cheese and sour cream. It came with some pancakes, but I only ate about half of them before I decided I was full.

Then it was off to Starbucks for writing time. The good news: I finally finished the draft of the holiday novella I’ve been working on. The bad: I sat there long enough that I had a low-carb Frappuccino AND a cranberry-orange scone. Blergh. (More proof that eating junk leads to wanting more junk … as if I didn’t already know that. Why do I keep doing that to myself?)

Is it any wonder I didn’t want anything else to eat until late in the evening?

At that point, I whipped up one of Roni’s recipes on Green Lite Bites: Simple Curried Spaghetti Squash Cakes. I had already-cooked spaghetti squash and eggs, so I thought “why not”?

I also nuked the last of my Thanksgiving Burgers, featured over at Chicklets in the Kitchen, and mashed half an avocado with a clove of garlic.

The end result:

The squash cakes were a little spicier than I’d have liked. Next time, I’ll use about half the amount of curry powder.

The rest of the day involved a short walk around my neighborhood and (a guilty pleasure) an hour of “Judge Judy” on the TV. I love watching that woman tell people how stupid they’re being.

On Monday night, I stayed up ’til after midnight, blogging and playing online.

Don’t know if it was brain drain or too much junk food, but I woke up with a headache Tuesday morning — twice. The first time, it was about 7 a.m., and I just got up to use the bathroom. I didn’t get up again until nearly 11:30 … and just long enough to move from my bed to the living room couch.

I sat down with the intention of getting up in a few minutes to take some ibuprofen … but ended up not budging until it was time to get ready for work. I wasn’t sure ibuprofen would make a dent in the headache anyway, because I suspected it was a sinus one. I think I even drifted back to sleep a couple of times. No writing got done because I didn’t bother to open my laptop. Heck, I barely even checked things on my phone. My head was killing me.

Needless to say, my Best Body Bootcamp workout didn’t happen.

Ironically (or not), I started to feel better right after I finally took the damn pills. By the time I left the house, I was almost back to normal. (Perhaps it was the promise of where I was heading before work … which you’ll get to read all about later today.) It made me wonder if I’d have felt better if I’d gotten outside sooner … but I suspect it had more to do with the double dose of ibuprofen I took. (I always take four pills, which is 800 mg … prescription strength.)

I still didn’t feel up to putting in extensive time in the kitchen, so I just grabbed a can of beef & barley soup from the pantry, and some leftover sausage, sweet potato and apple patties from the fridge and called it dinner. (I also had a couple of treats, including donuts, a slice of thin-crust pizza and handful of wasabi-soy almonds.)

Yikes. Seeing it laid out like that, the day’s eats look terrible.

Thank goodness it’s a new day. I will make better choices.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s