Spectacular September sunset

Saturday was another good day. Why? Because when I woke up at 10 a.m., I didn’t dawdle (much) before hitting the pavement.

I did take time to eat a little breakfast first: Leftover Crock Pot pork with sauerkraut from Tom at Whole Life Eating. I sliced up half an avocado to eat alongside the pork and sauerkraut to get my serving of healthy fat. Surprisingly, the addition wasn’t bad.

Me, now — Ready to rock my “wog.”

With food in my stomach, I laced up my tennis shoes and headed outside. You might recall I’d hoped to do a 5k (3 miles) in 45 minutes. Yeah … it didn’t happen.

I did, however, cover 3.64 miles in an hour. Some of my time was spent jogging, but mostly I walked.

I headed back to the pretty neighborhood near my house — the one with the hills. While I was out and about, several things happened:

  • I tripped over a crack in the sidewalk, but caught myself before I fell.
  • I paused to pet a friendly pug.
  • When it started to sprinkle, I stopped at some random guy’s house to borrow a plastic baggie to stash my iPhone. (I’d put one in my jacket pocket before I left the house, but it fell out somewhere along the way.) He was working in his garage, so I asked if he had a baggie for my phone.

In case you wondered, I was able to operate the phone through the baggie. I didn’t know you could do that. I didn’t know you could take iPhone screen shots, either, until I Googled it. Here’s proof of my “wog.”

Love that Nike+ app!

My pace of 16:28/mile is 28 seconds faster than Thursday’s 16:56, so I’m improving. Right? Right.

After getting back to the house, I showered, ate lunch (another burger topped with homemade mayo and mustard, with sauteed onions, mushrooms and zucchini alongside) and headed to Starbucks for the afternoon.

On the agenda: Putting together my RWA chapter’s newsletter. Between putting the finishing touches on the copy and doing the layout, it burned most of the afternoon — and most of the evening, too. I was in the zone … so much so that I was too busy to get up to get a refill on my iced tea. One of the baristas brought me one at some point, saying she’d noticed I’d been empty for a while.

Ah, the perks of being a regular! 😉

When I left Starbucks, I had all but two pages of the newsletter done. One page needed an article on our upcoming elections (recycled from 2010), which I needed to stop by my office to get. (It was on the hard drive of the work computer, because I used to lay out the newsletter after hours.)

The other still-blank page, the back page, needed a calendar of events and my editor’s note. I think I finished it all at about 10 p.m., and shipped it to our president for editing.

On the way home from Starbucks, I stopped at the grocery store to pick up the stuff I forgot yesterday: Eggs and bananas. I also bought chicken breasts because they were on super-sale — $1.67 a pound.

This was the sunset that greeted me when I stepped out of the car at Bashas’.

Love those colors.

Beautiful, isn’t it? Working 3 to midnight, I don’t get to see the sunset very often, so that made it extra-special.

On today’s to-do list: Another walk/run and a movie. I’m thinking of taking myself to see “Campaign.” It looks hilarious.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s