On the recommendation of some fellow writers, I finally succumbed to the mania that is Pinterest several months ago. “Use it to make boards for your stories,” they said. “Use it for inspiration for settings and characters.”
Well, I do have one board dedicated to photos of potential character models and one called, simply, “Beautiful Images.” I have others for books I want to read and books I’ve read and loved. But I also have boards titled “Food Ideas,” “Motivation” and “Fitness Tips.”
Guess which ones have more pins. Yeah. It’s sure as heck not “Character Motivation.”
I’m sure I’m not the only person out there who spends hours pinning things I want to try: Workouts, craft projects, recipes. I get wrapped up in the site and minutes fly by. The next thing I know it’s an hour later and I have dozens of new ideas swimming around my head.
To me, pinning is far superior than clipping things out of magazines. First, there’s no clutter to accumulate from images on your computer screen. Second, your boards are always accessible — unlike all those sheets you stick in a drawer and either forget completely or can’t find when you want them.
I’ve been feeling in a food rut again, so before I hit the grocery store last night, I checked Pinterest to see what recipes excited me.
On the menu:
- These Cheesy Garlic Cauliflower Breadsticks from Mom, What’s For Dinner? They look delicious and I can’t wait to make them. Don’t know what I’m eating with them, though … maybe my green bean/pepperoni/tomato sauce quickie dinner combo.
- OMG Chicken — minus the bread crumbs, of course.
- Tomorrow’s breakfast: Cake Batter Protein Shake (sadly, without the sprinkles). I’m looking forward to trying this one.
- A variation on this spinach/strawberry salad. I couldn’t resist when I saw strawberries were only 88 cents a pound.
- And for dessert someday soon, Atkins Lime-Coconut Mousse. I picked up limes and cream cheese. (I already had all the other ingredients on hand.)
I’ll try to take some pictures of my own. It’ll be fun to see whether mine look anything like the originals.
Hopefully, this will spark my kitchen creativity. I need to do something to kick-start my weight loss again.
You can find my boards here if you’re interested.