I’ve seen a few people who blog “Friday Five” lists (like Mary at A Merry Life). Even though it’s now technically Saturday, I love the idea (and I can’t think of anything I’d rather write about tonight). Here’s my stab at it:
Five go-to low-carb meals for a busy day
- Pickle spears wrapped in ham or turkey and cheese
- 1/2 cup green beans topped with a little garlic, 2 T tomato sauce, 1 oz. mini pepperoni and some mozzarella (or not. I eat it both ways.)
- A couple of hard-boiled eggs with cheese and cucumber spears (or not. A lot of times I skip the cukes, or eat them as a snack — with blue cheese dressing — at some other time throughout the day.)
- A Cheddarwurst with 1/2 cup sauerkraut (My coworkers don’t much care for this one, but it’s quick and easy.)
- Any low-carb meal I’ve made ahead and frozen
Five meals I’d like to have more often
- George Stella’s Meat Lasagna (That stuff takes a while to make, but it’s seriously tasty. Lucky for me, a pan serves 8, so when I make it, I freeze several servings.)
- Garden Vegetable Casserole (one of Dana Carpender’s recipes)
- A big ol’ chicken Caesar salad from Picazzo’s (Cost keeps me from indulging in this one as often as I’d like.)
- Italian Beef (my cousin’s recipe: A green pepper, a roast and lots of Italian seasoning in the Crock Pot with beef broth. Note to self: Must buy roast.)
- Bacon. (Okay, it doesn’t count as a meal — but I could eat bacon every day if it didn’t take so darn long to cook.)
Five things on my desk right now
- Pictures of my nephew and niece
- An empty vase that at one time held a bunch of daffodils. (So it was months ago, when daffodils were cheap and plentiful at the grocery store. I never claimed to have a clean desk.)
- Empty water bottles (and a Diet Dr Pepper bottle. Needed the caffeine to get me through my extra-long day at work.)
- Some page proofs of pages in the Saturday and Sunday papers.
- A genuine Oscar Mayer wiener whistle (a souvenir from the day I got to interview the drivers of the Weinermobile when it scooted into town. I never said my job was boring!)
There you have it. If I decide to do this regularly, I’ll make myself a cool “5” logo to go with it. Right now, I’m headed home for a snack (I still have 4 carbs to eat) and bed.
My goal for tomorrow: Another walk of at least a mile and softball practice for an hour before work.